DIY Baby Blocks

My sister is expecting her first child- it's a boy!! She is naming him Atlas and has decided to decorate the room in a world/map theme. Aside from the gift I purchased for her shower, I also wanted to make something special for her and Atlas. After many crafty online searches and brainstorm sessions I decided to make handmade baby blocks decorated with maps from around the World. This is a fun and easy project that anyone can do.

My husband helped me out by cutting down some wood and then nicely rounding off the corners. Although, this turned out to be quite the project for him (mainly because he is a perfectionist). He said next time he would just purchase the blocks online to save some major time. If you take his advice and choose to buy online, you can get each block for about .50 each, check out this site: www.craftparts.com.

Here is a photo of his lovely wooden blocks:


For this project you will need:
  • Qty 10 2" wooden blocks
  • Maps, or other photos/pictures (to decorate the blocks)
  • Mod Podge 
  • Photo paper
  • Craft essentials such as- printer, scissors, glue, paint brush...
Step 1: FIND THE MAPS OR PHOTOS YOU WILL BE DECORATING THE BLOCKS WITH & PRINT- I decided each side of these blocks was going to be a map puzzle, which means these blocks will double as puzzles and playing blocks, pretty cool right? Six sides to a block = six puzzles total. I had 10 blocks (I chose 10 so they would stack in a perfect triangle), but could only use 9 for the puzzles so it was square. Therefore, I turned block #10 into the map-key. I found 6 maps and printed them out on glossy photo paper. Hint- make sure to let the photo dry for at least 1/2 hour.


Step 2: CUTTING & GLUING- Next, I cut the maps into 9 pieces each . Each piece was cut 1 5/8" x 1 5/8" to leave some extra room to compensate for the rounded edges and corners on the block. After the pieces were cut, I simply glued each one to the blocks.

Here are some of the puzzles put together:
Wisconsin Map - Notice the map-key block at the top :)

World Map
Step 4: SEAL THE BLOCKS- I chose to go with mod podge as my sealer. I used 2 coats on each side. This part is a little time consuming, but don't worry it will be done before you know it. Make sure to allow each side to dry fully, which can take a few hours.


I chose to use Mod Podge because these blocks will be used as decorations, but I would recommend using a baby safe sealant for playing blocks. Check out this site http://sealitgreen.com/.

At last, the final product! 


Don't you just love them?! I sure hope Atlas loves these blocks as much as I do, just a few more months before his arrival and we will see :) Thanks for reading and enjoy crafting!!!

XOXO, Felecia

No comments:

Post a Comment